ESSAY 3 INSTRUCTIONS AND CHECKLIST
Cause and Effect Argument
In Module/Week 7, you will write a 1,200–1,500-word cause and effect argument essay from the thesis/outline that you submitted in Module/Week 7. Please note the word count does not include citations.
Cause and Effect Essay Prompt
Write a cause and effect argument in which you address the question, “How has social media impacted American culture?”
Use the Essay 3 Grading Rubric in Blackboard and the proofreading checklist to draft and revise your essay. Read through your paper and check the appropriate boxes on the chart below. If any area of your paper needs revision, make sure you correct it before submitting your essay.
Reading & Study Application Successful Needs Revision
1. Introduction: Establishes a context for the argument by explaining the need to examine causes or to consider effects; states the essay’s thesis (Make sure you address one of the prompt questions.)
2. Background: Gives an overview of the situation
3. Evidence: discusses less important causes or effects
4. Evidence: discusses major causes or effects
5. Integrates at least 4 quotes, 1 summary, and 1 paraphrase from at least 3 outside sources
6. Refutation of opposing arguments: Considers and rejects other possible causes or effects
7. Conclusion: Reinforces the argument’s main point; includes a strong concluding statement
8. Contains pathos (emotional) appeals, ethos (values/belief) appeals, and/or logos (factual) appeals as appropriate
9. Title reflects issue and proposal information
10. Uses only third person pronouns (all first and second person pronouns have been removed)
11. If using current APA format, contains properly formatted, title, abstract, and References page.
If using MLA format, contains a properly formatted Works Cited page
If using Turabian format, contains a properly formatted title page and Bibliography page
12. Double spaced; 12-point Times New Roman font
13. Uses signal phrases and appropriate transitions
15. References/Works Cited/ Bibliography page includes all sources cited within the body of the essay
14. Checked spelling, grammar/mechanics
Submitting the Assignment
When you are satisfied with the quality of your essay, post it to Blackboard via the SafeAssign link for grading. Do not forget to write your degree program and whether you are using current MLA, APA, or Turabian on the title page and in the “Submission Title” field when submitting your paper.
IMPORTANT: Fully cite all quotations, summaries, and paraphrases used within your essay, or those excerpts will be regarded as plagiarism and will result in a “0” on your essay and possible course failure.
Submit this assignment by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Monday of Module/Week 7.
How has Social media Impacted American Culture?
Imagine a life without social media where there are no cellphones, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Websites. This world existed a few decades ago, and people used to travel milestones to deliver information. However, with the advent of the internet, social media, which is arguably one of its most significant changes,