A summary and analysis of a current event having to do with American government and/or politics
You are required to submit a writing assignment as part of Lesson 7 in the course. You are to write a current event paper, approximately 750 words in length, consisting of a summary and analysis of a current event having to do with American government and/or politics. You must cite a minimum of five different references (sources) in the paper and include a works cited page at the end of the assignment to provide full bibliographic information for each of the references that was cited in the text of the paper. You must cite 2 times per page and cannot use direct quotes of more than two sentences. The writing and presentation should be very formal, as opposed to the more relaxed style that is typical of discusssion postings. Use the word I, very rarely. Do not use the words ‘we’ or ‘you’ in this writing.
Current event papers must be formatted according to MLA style, for papers with no title page (see the following link to access an online resource for MLA style: https://owl.english.
The current event paper should have the following elements:
- Provide a thorough, but brief, summary of the political issue. An understanding of the issue should be developed by reading the articles uncovered during research for the assignment. The information provided in the summary will lay the foundation for you to react and respond to (analyze) the political issue. Be sure to properly cite within the text (according to MLA style) any information that you obtained from one of your sources. Citations must be provided, even for paraphrased information.
- Present your perspective on the political issue. Think critically about the topic discussed in the articles and clearly express your thoughts about it in writing. Consider eight standards for critical thinking (Paul and Elder, 2103): clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logic, and fairness. Ask questions, such as
- How can I validate the accuracy of my statement?
- How is this information relevant?
- How does my conclusion address the complexities of the issue?
- What is another interpretation or viewpoint of the issue?
- Does my conclusion follow from the data and/or statements I have provided?
Grading will be based on the following criteria:
- Critical Thinking Skills: the extent to which you have engaged in critical thinking, innovation, and inquiry of a political issue, and has demonstrated analysis, evaluation, and synthesis of information related to the political issue;
- Communication Skills: the extent to which you have effectively expressed ideas in writing;
- Personal Responsibility: the ability you have to develop opinions related to a political topic, and recognize the consequences of those choices and decisions;
- Social Responsibility: the ability you have to demonstrate civic responsibility and engagement by developing an understanding and perspective of a political issue that affects regional, national, and potentially global communities.
Solution PreviewOne of the stories that have been the highlight of the media in 2018 has been President Trump’s meeting with Kim Jong Un, the North Korean supreme leader. However, opinion in the United States has been divided over the possible outcome of the meeting between the…