Discussion – Empires and Cultures
Part 2: First Empires and Common Cultures in Afro-Eurasia
Reading: Tignor, Chapter 4
Online Materials: Migration, Caste, and Vedic Culture.
Website: Around the Indus River Valley
1. How did migrations influence the development of societies in Afro-Eurasia?
2. Describe the worldview of Vedic culture in ancient South Asia.
3. Why was “caste” (Varna) of particular importance?
4. Did Vedic culture function to maintain social-political structures in the material and cosmic planes of existence? If so, then please explain.
5. How does caste (Varna) continue to have a role in India today?
6. How were empires different from territorial states?
7. What are the cultural legacies of the Persian, Greek, and Jewish worlds from this
8. Other comments – impressions?
Image preview for”how did migrations influence the development of societies in Afro-Eurasia?”