Discussion Islam in Historical Context
New Empires and Common Cultures
Tignor: Chapter 9, pp. 383-38, pp. 390-391 “Current Trends in World History: The
Crusades from Dual Perspectives; and, Foltz, Chapter 5.
1. Islam and World History
2. Crusades, Religion, and History
Discussion Board Questions:
1. Describe the historical origins of Islam during the 7th Century, CE. What impressed you the most about the origins of this universal religion?
2. How did the connection between religion and merchants help spread Islam?
3. Select and describe at least two examples of interactions and connections that occurred as the world came together across regions from 600 to 1000CE.
4. During the Era of the Crusades, territorial conquests created conditions for migration, economic, and cultural interactions between Western Europe and the Eastern Mediterranean. How true is this statement, what was the significance of these interactions, and what did you learn about the “Crusades”?
5. Please share and discuss your impressions/comments of this unit – did you learn anything new or more information about something you had heard
about? Did it change your understanding or only reinforce what you already knew?
Image preview for”what impressed you the most about the origins of this universal religion?”