|Number of words||577|
|Number of sources||0|
Final writing project30%for ARA 315
Select one of the following topics of interest that we have covered during this semester:
Write and synthesize clearly a thoughtful, analytical, and reflective paper where you demonstrate an understanding of the varieties of Arabic culture topics.
The final project should be 2-4 pages since no exams will be given for this material. Students should able to identify in their writings for instance some issues related to diversity gender, race, customs, traditions, beliefs, and other varieties of Arabic cultures; and be able to compare these multicultural manifestations among Eastern and Western cultures with awareness using comparative, reflective analysis and cross-cultural approaches in order to learn to accept differences.
– The Arab countries, similarities, and differences: Arabas of Middle East and of North Africa.
– Beliefs and Values in the Arab world and Cultural norms of Arabs
– Family Structure: the social structure
– The role of the family
– Getting personal
– Men and women
– The status of women
– Arabs and Muslims in the West: Immigration/ Socioeconomic conditions/ Advantages and challenges
– Religion and society
– Anti-Americanism, chapter 12
– Arabic food culture in the Arab world is not included.
– Rydell, Margaret. Understanding Arabs: A Guide for Modern Times. 4 th.Ed./Available at the bookstore
– Additional References: articles and videos from different sources Media are accepted.
– Final writing project will be graded on the following 10-point scale:
Content: Ability to identify and discuss the primary, most significant topics/elements of course materials. 3 points
Organization / Structure and linguistic: 2 points
Critical thinking: 2 points
Analysis: 3 points