What Makes a Leader?
What Makes a Leader? and Emotional Intelligence
What Makes a Leader?
As we start the study of leadership, administration, and supervision we must look at what makes a leader Is leadership something that can be learned or are there traits that we must be born with?
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
• Discuss leadership theories and leadership styles applicable to social service practice.
• Identify the qualities of a good leader.
• Learn the definition of emotional intelligence.
Goleman (2011) spent time looking at leaders and what makes them effective. He noted that a good IQ, technical ability and most importantly, a high degree of emotional intelligence is needed to be an effective leader. Self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy and social skills were the five skills that make up emotional intelligence. Goleman discusses the idea of learning and developing emotional intelligence.
Goleman, D. (2011). What makes a leader? In HBR’s 10 must reads: On leadership (pp. 1- 21). Harvard Business Review Press.
1. Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
2. Read Chapter 1, “What Makes a Leader(new tab)?” (Originally published in the Harvard Business Review, November/December 1998).
3. Citing the workshop resources and using APA format write a minimum one-paragraph response to each of the following prompts:
a. In your own words what is emotional intelligence? If you had to pick, which component do you believe would be
most important and why?
b. In reviewing the 5 components of emotional intelligence, which do you think would be your strongest and which do you need to work on? How could you improve your weakest component?
c. Identify and discuss one other aspect of the article you think is important to leadership or emotional intelligence.
4. Before finalizing your work, ensure that you:
a. Have followed the assignment instructions carefully.
b. Use the computer’s spelling and grammar check.
c. Use APA format for organization, style, and source credits, including:
i. 12-point, double-spaced
ii. One-inch margins on all sides
iii. Normal character spacing
iv. In-text citations
v. Title page and reference page
vi. Properly formatted headings
5. If needed please access APA formatting resources through the Academic Writer website in the Course Homepage widget on the side to create your account which will give you the access during this course or APA resources available at OCLS APA Style Page
Image preview for”what Makes a Leader? “