Another leadership style we will be discussing is authentic leadership.
Another leadership style we will be discussing is authentic leadership. This is a fairly new viewpoint. As the name indicates it focuses on how authentic a leader is. Authentic as defined by Merriam-Webster “one who is truly one’s own personality, spirit or character, not false or imitation” In this activity, you will learn about authentic leadership and consider different factors of it.
Upon successful completion of this discussion, you will be able to:
• Define authentic leadership.
• Identify the relationship between self-awareness, transparency, and authentic leadership.
Most people who are in leadership positions have not had formal training to be a leader. Most people learn about leadership by observing others in leadership positions. Competent leaders reflect often on the ways they were led—both the good and bad. They think about leadership approaches that worked to motivate them and also consider which tactics fell short. They then make intentional choices to lead in ways that value people and how they should be treated. They are willing to part ways with approaches that did not work well or devalued people. An effective leader creates his or her own leadership approach and is constantly trying to improve it based on how well it works and how it benefits those they lead
1. Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade
2. Read the PDF Chapter 9 Leadership Theory and Practice by Peter Northouse.
a. Northhouse, P. (2019). Authentic Leadership. Leadership: Theory and practice. (8th ed. pp. 197-226). Sage
3. Review Case 9.3.
4. Using APA format and proving in-text citations to support your answers, navigate to the threaded discussion below and write at least one paragraph responding to the following prompts.
a. How would you describe Betty Ford’s leadership? In what ways could her leadership be described as authentic?
b. How did critical life events play a role in the development of her leadership?
c. As we discussed in the chapter, self-awareness, and transparency are associated with authentic leadership. How does Betty Ford exhibit these qualities?
Image preview for”another leadership style we will be discussing is authentic leadership. “