Are there areas in which you will need to learn new conflict management skills or behaviors?
Power & Politics
o Prompt: Perform the OB Matters exercise on page 313 of the Ivancevich et al.text. After taking the exercise and analyzing your results, discuss how your findings may influence how you will lead or manage others, especially in conflict situations. Are there areas in which you will need to learn new conflict management skills or behaviors?
Exercise 12.1: Empowerment Profile
Complete the following questionnaire. For each of the following items, select the alternative with which you feel more comfortable. While for some items you may feel that both (a) and (b) describe you or neither is ever applicable, you should select the alternative that better describes you most of the time.
1. When I have to give a talk or write a paper, I . . .
Do a lot of research and present the findings of others in my paper.
2. When I read something, I disagree with, I . . .
Assume what’s presented in the written word is correct.
3. When someone makes me extremely angry, I . . .
a. Ask the other person to stop the behavior that is offensive to me.
b. Say little, not quite knowing how to state my position.
c. Completely ignore.
4. When I do a good job, it is important to me that . . .
Others take notice of the job I’ve done.
5. When I buy new clothes, I . . .
Buy what looks best on me.
6. When something goes wrong, I . . .
Try to solve the problem.
7. As I anticipate my future, I . . .
a. Am confident I will be able to lead the kind of life I want to lead.
b. Worry about being able to live up to my obligations.
8. When examining my own resources and capacities, I . . .
a. Like what I find.
b. Find all kinds of things I wish were different.
9. When someone treats me unfairly, I . . .
a. Put my energies into getting what I want.
b. Tell others about the injustice.
10. When someone criticizes my efforts, I . . .
a. Ask questions to understand the basis for the criticism.
b. Defend my actions or decisions, trying to make my critic understand why I did what I did.
11. When I engage in an activity, it is very important to me that . . .
a. I live up to my own expectations.
b. I live up to the expectations of others.
12. When I let someone else down or disappoint them, I . . .
a. Resolve to do things differently next time.
b. Feel guilty and wish I had done things differently.
13. I try to surround myself with people . . .
a. Whom I respect.
b. Who respects me.
14. I try to develop friendships with people who . . .
a. Are challenging and exciting.
b. Can make me feel a little safer and a little more secure.
c. Wiser, polite, compassionate, funny, motivating, and hardworking
15. I make my best efforts when . . .
a. I do something I want to do when I want to do it.
b. Someone else gives me an assignment, a deadline, and a reward for performing.
16. When I love a person, I . . .
a. Encourage him or her to be free and choose for himself or herself.
b. Encourage him or her to do the same thing I do and to make choices like mine.
17. When I play a competitive game, it is important to me that I
a. Do the best I can and have fun
18. I really like being around people who
b. Can and want to learn from me.
19. My best days are those that . . .
a. Present unexpected opportunities.
b. Go according to plan.
20. When I get behind in my work, I . . .
a. Do the best I can and don’t worry.
b. Worry or push me harder than I should.
Image preview for”are there areas in which you will need to learn new conflict management skills or behaviors?”