Is determinism consistent with free-will?
Reason & Reality
Answer any three questions:
(1) What is determinism? Is determinism different from causality or predictability? If so how?
(2) Is determinism consistent with free-will? What is compatibilism? Discuss a compatibilist’s position regarding the relationship between determinism and free-will.
(3) What is fatalism? Give an argument in favor for fatalism. What is an objection to fatalism?
(4) Identify the name of the philosophers from the following writings:
(i) We are not morally responsible for our actions.
(ii) We need to have a science of human behavior based on which we can control human actions.
(iii) Karma is grounded in a “greed, anger, and folly without beginning.….”
(5) Consider the analysis of the sentence “x has done y freely” in terms of the sentence “it is possible that x could have done otherwise”. Discuss an argument against this analysis.
Image preview for is determinism consistent with free-will?