1. Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
2. Read the How to Engage in Substantive Discussion Post.pdf document and apply the guidelines to your weekly discussion posts.
3. Read one of the following articles:
a. “Advocacy/Empowerment: An Approach to Clinical Practice for Social Work”
b. “Empowerment Through Advocacy and Consciousness-Raising: Implications of a Structural Approach to Social Work”
4. Review the NASW Code of Ethics https://www.socialworkers.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=ms_ArtLqzeI%3d&portalid=0
5. Navigate to the threaded discussion and respond to the following prompts:
a. Explain your view of the social work advocate’s role and the importance of client empowerment. Support your view with references to the reading material or other professional sources.
b. Provide an example of an area that needs advocacy at your field placement site or in your population.
c. List three specific ways that you could apply advocacy principles based on your reading of the journal articles to your example. Properly cite in APA style references used in your post.
d. Discuss at least one potential barrier to effective advocacy at your agency and what you could do to eliminate or reduce it.
6. Your initial post is due by the end of the fourth day of the workshop.
Image preview for”explain your view of the social work advocate’s role and the importance of client empowerment.”