What is the purpose of child observation?
Details: Instructions for Midterm Assignment
For the midterm, you will answer the following short answer questions. The questions are based on the chapters we have reviewed so far (Chapters 1-7). You may use your book for this midterm. Each question is worth 1 point. The questions must be answered in full complete sentences. The answers are based on the chapter readings ONLY so the answers should reflect on the information in our book.
1. What is an authentic assessment?
2. What is the purpose of child observation? What are the two principal ways of using the data obtained?
3. What is a portfolio?
4. What are anecdotal and running records?
5. What are the guidelines for objective recording?
6. Define the terms: self-concept, self-image and self-esteem.
7. What is a learning prescription?
8. What are some actions teachers can use to help children manage emotional expression?
9. What is emotional literacy?
10. What are the six behavior categories identified by Parten?
11. What are the linkages between brain development and children’s play?
12 What are the two important areas that are involved in physical development in young children?
13. How does physical activity support brain development?
14 Which are two important upper body large-motor skills?
15 What are some helpful ideas if a child has not demonstrated skills in throwing, catching, and kicking?
16 List and describe the three categories of knowledge that Piaget developed.
17 What are the similarities and differences between the theories of Jean Piaget and Lev Vygotsky?
18 What does brain research tell us about how children learn best?
19 What are the types of reasoning?
20. Reflect on what we have discussed so far in regards to children’s development and assessment/observation. Why is it important to know what you are looking for and why is it important to collect descriptive (objective) data?
For the questions below, refer to the handout titled Screening and Assessment in Early Childhood, which I shared in the Chapter 4 Module. Click on the link provided to refer back to that module. Worth 5 points.
What are screening tools? Give an example of a developmental screening tool.
What is are diagnostic assessments? Give an example of a diagnostic assessment.
What are ongoing assessments? Give an example of an ongoing assessment.
Image preview for”what is the purpose of child observation?”