Carefully read the news article:
- Kuchment, A. (2016, May 21). Fracking activities caused majority of recent Texas quakes (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Standard Times.
- Take notes and pay special attention to the language used in the news article.
Next, for your comparison to the news article, your information from the “scientific community”:
- View: Oklahoma Earthquakes and the Rise in Fracking (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. [Video, 10:12 mins]
- Read: US Geologic Survey Myths and Misconceptions about Fracking and Earthquakes (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Review the Abstract (on page 1) and Discussion and Conclusions (on pp. 13-15) from: Frohlich, C., DeShon, H., Stump, B., Hayward, C., Hornbach, M., & Walter, J. I. (2016). A historical review of induced earthquakes in Texas (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Seismological Research Letters, 87(4).
Science was last modified: August 6th, 2018 by