In this assignment, you will be introduced to an assessment tool used to identify multiple symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder, one of many neurodevelopmental disorders.
Families with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
INSTRUCTIONS 5.2 Assignment: Families with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
In this workshop, you will be watching a video posted on the Autism Family Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Wa8Py59GIazwSzvC8v1Hg
that shows a family with three sons (Alistair, Connor, and Ian) with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). The Owen’s are among a subset of families that researchers call “multiplex.” That means they have multiple members with an autism spectrum disorder. Among all families affected by autism, up to 19% have more than one child with the disorder, according to one large study (Ozonoff, S., Young, G. S., Carter, A., Messinger, D., Yirmiya, N., Zwaigenbaum, L., . . . Stone, W. L. , 2011). While watching the video, you will be completing a Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers, Revised with Follow-Up (M-CHAT-R/F on the family.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
• Advocate for and with clients as they encounter injustice within the mental health field (PLO 3; ILO 4).
In this assignment, you will be introduced to an assessment tool used to identify multiple symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder, one of many neurodevelopmental disorders. Additionally, you will read about various social work theories and identify which ones would be used in working with individuals with Autism and their families
1. Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
2. In the textbook, Mental Health in Social Work, read Chapter 3 discussing “Autism Spectrum Disorder”.
3. Review the Blog: Theories Used in Social Work Practice and Practice Models and the Social Work License Map website.
4. In the DSM-5, explore the content on “Neurodevelopmental Disorders” paying particular attention to “Autism Spectrum Disorder” (pages 50 – 59).
5. Watch the video: Diagnostic Criteria for Autism.
6. You will be completing an assessment tool for this assignment:
a. Watch the video: 10 Early Signs of Autism that show a family with three sons with Autism Disorder (Alistair, Connor, and Ian).
b. Download and use the Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers, Revised with Follow-Up (M-CHAT-R/F) to mark the symptoms of autism presented in the video. Then complete the decision tree located in the document by providing examples that you see from the video. Where did you arrive at your decision?
7. You will also write a summary using APA style to answer the following prompts:
a. In working with the family in the video, select a social work theory that you would integrate into your treatment with the family. Discuss the theory and cite/reference at least three sources. See item #3 above for assistance in locating a theory.
b. Provide at least two examples of how this theory could be integrated in the treatment of the family in the video.
Theories Used in Social Work Practice and Practice Models
Social Work License Map
Diagnostic Criteria for Autism
10 Early Signs of Autism
Image preview for”in this assignment, you will be introduced to an assessment tool used to identify multiple symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder, one of many neurodevelopmental disorders. “