Reading to Understand, ASSIGNMENT 1—Sonnets
YOU MAY COMPLETE THE ASSIGNMENT ON THIS SHEET, WRITING YOUR RESPONSES BENEATH THE QUESTIONS.
1. Choose one of the assigned Sonnets then complete the following. Write the number of the Sonnet here _________.
2. Breaking it apart: Read the first quatrain out loud. Stop. After reading the first quatrain out loud, write down what your thoughts are about what this quatrain means; write your ideas in the space below.
3. Same as above for quatrain 2.
4. Same for quatrain 3.
5. Same for couplet.
6. Now that you have “broken apart” the sonnet, in the space below, write a line-by-line translation of the poem using contemporary English. This isn’t a word-by-word translation, just a line by line translation using the language we speak today. Imagine you are telling a friend what each line means.
7. # ShakespeareSonnets. Based on your understanding of the sonnet, write a hashtag phrase that captures the meaning. Have fun with this and be CREATIVE! (you might see your hashtags displayed outside my office…)
Image preview for”choose one of the assigned Sonnets then complete the following”