Rather than focus on the treatment of chronic disease, policies that influence population health tend to emphasize prevention and wellness; the reduction or elimination of waste and the eradication of health disparities based on race, ethnicity, language, income, gender, sexual orientation, disability and other factors. The reasoning is that good health belongs to the whole, not just an individual. (New York State Dept. of Health, n.d.)
Regardless of political affiliation, every citizen has a stake in healthcare policy decisions. Hence, it is little wonder why healthcare items become such high-profile components of presidential agendas. It is also little wonder why they become such hotly debated agenda items.
Consider a topic (mental health, HIV, opioid epidemic, pandemics, obesity, prescription drug prices, or many others) that rises to the presidential level. How did the current and previous presidents handle the problem? What would you do differently?
- Milstead, J. A., & Short, N. M. (2019). Health policy and politics: A nurse’s guide (6th ed.). Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Chapter 1, “Informing Public Policy: An Important Role for Registered Nurses” (pp. 11–13 only)
- Chapter 2, “Agenda Setting: What Rises to a Policymaker’s Attention?” (pp. 17–36)
- Chapter 10, “Overview: The Economics and Finance of Health Care” (pp. 171–180)
- Chapter 12, “An Insider’s Guide to Engaging in Policy Activities”
- “Creating a Fact Sheet” (pp. 217-221)
- DeMarco, R., & Tufts, K. A. (2014). The mechanics of writing a policy briefLinks to an external site.. Nursing Outlook, 62(3), 219–224.
- Kingdon, J.W. (2001). A model of agenda-setting with applications. Law Review M.S.U.-D.C.LLinks to an external site.., 2(331)
- Lamb, G., Newhouse, R., Beverly, C., Toney, D. A., Cropley, S., Weaver, C. A., Kurtzman, E., … Peterson, C. (2015). Policy agenda for nurse-led care coordinationLinks to an external site.. Nursing Outlook, 63(4), 521–530. doi:10.1016/j.outlook.2015.06.003.
- O’Rourke, N. C., Crawford, S. L., Morris, N. S., & Pulcini, J. (2017). Political efficacy and participation of nurse practitionersLinks to an external site.. Policy, Politics, and Nursing Practice, 18(3), 135–148.
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Enhancing Environmental Health Content in Nursing Practice, Pope, A. M., Snyder, M. A., & Mood, L. H. (Eds.). (n.d.). Nursing health, & environmentLinks to an external site.: Strengthening the relationship to improve the public’s health.
- USA.gov. (n.d.). A-Z index of U.S. government departments and agenciesLinks to an external site.. Retrieved September 20, 2018, from https://www.usa.gov/federal-agencies/a
- USA.gov. (n.d.). Branches of the US governmentLinks to an external site.. https://www.usa.gov/branches-of-government
- The White House. (n.d.). The cabinetLinks to an external site.. Retrieved September 20, 2018, from https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-trump-administratio…
- Document: Agenda Comparison Grid Template (Word document)