Heads of the Colored People: Journal 6
• You should write about “The Subject of Consumption.”
o Journals are 1-2 pages double spaced.
o Please make sure you put your name and journal number at the top of your journal entry.
• What should be in your journal? A journal entry should contain 4 items about each piece of literature you read in the textbook:
1. A brief synopsis of what the section was about [think characters, conflict, resolution]
2. Any lines or phrases that have particular significance [think important themes, climactic moments]
3. A short explanation of what you liked or found most valuable about the piece
4. Any questions you have about the piece.
The Subject of Consumption
Nafissa Thompson-Spires brings out the subject of consumption as it is in the real world using the fruitarianism. Fruitarianism is a vegan diet that consists of using fruits majorly. It is adopted because of religion, culture, ethical, economic, health or environmental reasons. A similar thing happens in the story. There is a fruitarian, Ryan, who intends to marry a white woman, Lisbeth. Being a black male, it would commonly be expected that he should marry a black lady. This causes the conflict as it seems he so desires light-skinned ladies to his own kind. It is against the culture of black people. It seemed odd.