Examine the sources of evidence that contribute to professional nursing practice.
Manage Discussion Entry
Prof Logvinov & Class,
A barrier to implementing EBP recommendations is limited resources. Some EBP recommendations require new equipment or a different process that what a facility is prepared for, or even more or different staff (Camargo, Hemiko Iwamoto, Galvão, de Araújo Pereira, Benzi Andrade & Crispim Masso, 2018). If a facility does not have the resources to engage in an EBP, than the staff or nurses are not able to engage. A strategy to help improve nursing care proper utilization of resources, that includes appropriate use of supplies, and saving the facility when able. If we manage our resources better, we are able to provide better care and have more resources to share when needed.
In this course, I have learned the importance on staying up to date on new EBP studies and presenting them to management to help improve patient outcomes. While it may be hard sometimes to find the time to research, it is important stay focused involved in our nursing care. Our book defines EBP as “the best scientific evidence, integrated with clinical experience and incorporating patient values” (Houser, 2018). As nurses we want what is best for our patients, keeping up to date with the best evidence is a good start.
Houser, J. (2018). Nursing research: Reading, using, and creating evidence (4th ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
Camargo, F. C., Hemiko Iwamoto, H., Galvão, C. M., de Araújo Pereira, G., Benzi Andrade, R., & Crispim Masso, G. (2018). Competences and Barriers for the Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing: an integrative review. Revista Brasileira de Enfermagem, 71(4), 2030–2038. https://doi.org/10.1590/0034-7167-2016-0617
Week 8 Discussion: The Evidence-Nursing Practice Connection (graded)
This week’s graded topics relate to the following Course Outcome (CO).
- CO 1: Examine the sources of evidence that contribute to professional nursing practice. (PO 7)
- CO 5: Recognize the role of research findings in evidence-based practice. (PO 7 & 8)
Improving patient care and outcomes is paramount to the practice of nursing. As we conclude our learning journey through our world of research and evidence-based practice, it is important to reflect upon your time spent in the course:
- Think about nursing practice and describe one barrier that you feel prohibits nurses from engaging in EBP; share one strategy you could use to facilitate the use of evidence to help improve nursing care for patients.
- Reflect back over your time in the course and describe how your thinking has changed about nursing research and evidence-based practice; describe one new learning during this course that you believe was the most helpful.
Week 8: Assigned Reading
Houser, J. (2018). Nursing research: Reading, using, and creating evidence(4 th ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
- Chapter 1: The Importance of Research as Evidence in Nursing
- Chapter 16: Translating Research into Practice
NOTE: All items on this page are considered Assigned Readings for the week and may not be used for Scholarly Outside Sources in Discussions. For scholarly outside sources, please explore the Chamberlain Library or Webliography.
Image preview for examine the sources of evidence that contribute to professional nursing practice.