Assignment: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
It is estimated that more almost 7% of the U.S. population will experience posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in their lifetime (National Institute of Mental Health, 2017). This debilitating disorder often interferes with an individualâ€™s ability to function in daily life. Common symptoms of anxiousness and depression frequently lead to behavioral issues, adolescent substance abuse issues, and even physical ailments. For this Assignment, you examine a PTSD video case study and consider how you might assess and treat clients presenting with PTSD.
- Review this weekâ€™s Learning Resources and reflect on the insights they provide about diagnosing and treating PTSD.
- View the media Presentation Example: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and assess the client in the case study.
- For guidance on assessing the client, refer to Chapter 3 of the Wheeler text.
Succinctly, in 1â€“2 pages, address the following:
- Briefly explain the neurobiological basis for PTSD illness.
- Discuss the DSM-5-TR diagnostic criteria for PTSD and relate these criteria to the symptomology presented in the case study. Does the video case presentation provide sufficient information to derive a PTSD diagnosis? Justify your reasoning. Do you agree with the other diagnoses in the case presentation? Why or why not?
- Discuss one other psychotherapy treatment option for the client in this case study. Explain whether your treatment option is considered a â€œgold standard treatmentâ€ from a clinical practice guideline perspective, and why using gold standard, evidence-based treatments from clinical practice guidelines is important for psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioners.
Support your Assignment with specific examples from this weekâ€™s media and at least three peer-reviewed, evidence-based sources. Explain why each of your supporting sources is considered scholarly. Attach the PDFs of your sources.
Gift from Within. (Producer). (2008). PTSD and veterans: A conversation with Dr. Frank Ochberg [Video]. https://go.openathens.net/redirector/waldenu.edu?url=https://video.alexanderstreet.com/watch/ptsd-and-veterans-a-conversation-with-dr-frank-ochberg
American Psychiatric Association. (2022). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed., text rev.). https://go.openathens.net/redirector/waldenu.edu?url=https://dsm.psychiatryonline.org/doi/book/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425787
Credit: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. SAMHSAâ€™s Concept of Trauma and Guidance for a Trauma-Informed Approach. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 14-4884. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2014.
Tye, S., Van Voorhees, E., Hu, C., & Lineberry, T. (2015). Preclinical perspectives on posttraumatic stress disorder criteria in DSM-5. Harvard Review of Psychiatry, 23(1), 51â€“58. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4542003/
Credit: Preclinical Perspectives on Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Criteria in DSM-5 by Susannah Tye, PhD, Elizabeth Van Voorhees, PhD, Chunling Hu, MD, PhD, and Timothy Lineberry, MD, in HARVARD REVIEW OF PSYCHIATRY, Vol. 23/Issue 1. Copyright 2015 by ROUTLEDGE. Reprinted by permission of ROUTLEDGE via the Copyright Clearance Center.
Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2020). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (3rd ed.). Springer Publishing.
- Chapter 3, â€œAssessment and Diagnosisâ€ (Previously read in Week 2)
- Chapter 7, â€œEye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapyâ€
- Chapter 11, â€œTrauma Resiliency Model Therapyâ€
- Chapter 15, â€œTrauma-Informed Medication Managementâ€
- Chapter 17, â€œStabilization for Trauma and Dissociationâ€
- Chapter 18, â€œDialectical Behavior Therapy for Complex Traumaâ€