please read the case in world file below and answer each question with much details
- 1- As of the end of the case, outline the ownership rights of each part of the business, including physical property, intellectual property, recipes, business model, etc.
Can you justify Lisa Ballentine’s decision not to renew the lease?
- 2- Do Jimmy King and Brian Rowe have a legal case against Lisa Ballentine? Why?
- 3- How do you think the outcry from social media affected the potential for a franchise opportunity for the Penguin?
- 4- If you were King and Rowe, what would you have done differently when establishing the restaurant? Rebuilding the Penguin brand?
- 5- Whose side are you on? Why?
- 6- As an entrepreneur, would you invest in a Penguin franchise?
1- As of the end of the case, outline the ownership rights of each part of the business, including physical property, intellectual property, recipes, business model, etc.
The Penguin has changed ownership from the original ice cream shop into a successful and restaurant that offered service to the Charlotte community. Jim Ballentine who bought the ice cream shop obtained ownership of the property where the shop was built, the lot and equipment in 1954. Though he never registered, he effectively owned the trademark of the business with his wife as he changed it from an ice cream shop into a drive-in.
After an illness and death of Jim Ballentine, the ownership of the restaurant was transferred to Jean Ballentinein 1999, the widow, as well as the trademarks of the business.